Understanding Problem Gaming
For individuals who cannot gamble responsibly, Greektown Casino strives to get them information on programs and services that can help them control or deal with their problem.
At all levels of our operation, Greektown Casino adopts the philosophy that our success involves a proactive approach to the issue of problem gambling. Through the state of Michigan's Department of Community Health, Greektown Casino supports a toll-free 24 hour helpline which can be reached at 1.800.270.7117.
RECOGNIZING A PROBLEMMost compulsive/problem gamblers will be able to answer "Yes" to seven or more of these questions:
- Do you lose time from work due to gambling?
- Is gambling making your home life unhappy?
- Is gambling affecting your reputation?
- Have you ever felt remorse after gambling?
- Do you ever gamble in order to have enough money to pay bills, pay debts to others, or solve other financial difficulties?
- Does gambling cause a decrease in your ambition or efficiency?
- After losing, do you feel you must return as soon as possible and "win back" your losses?
- After a win, do you have a strong urge to return and win more?
- Do you often gamble until your last dollar is gone?
- Do you ever borrow money to finance your gambling?
- Have you ever sold any personal property to finance your gambling?
- Are you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal expenditures?
- Does gambling make you disregard the welfare of your family?
- Do you ever gamble longer than you had planned?
- Do you ever gamble to escape worry or trouble?
- Have you ever committed or considered committing an illegal act in order to finance gambling?
- Does gambling cause you to have difficulty getting to sleep?
- Do arguments, disappointments, or frustrations create within you an urge to gamble?
- Do you have an urge to celebrate any good fortune with a few hours of gambling?
- Have you ever considered self-destruction as a result of your gambling?
GETTING HELPIf you or someone you know is experiencing a gambling problem, the Michigan Problem Gambling Helpline can help. It is strictly confidential, and counselors can give you the help and support you need. Call 1.800.270.7117, 24 hours a day. In addition, below are links to several resources available on the Internet.
Michigan Gaming Control Board
Michigan Department of Community Health
National Council on Problem Gambling